Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Itsybitsy Massacre

You think that after having a dog for 6 months (and today is actually the 6 month anniversary of getting my cute little hellion), that you'd learn that certain things have to be picked up and away from a puggle's grasp...

I'm learning this the hard way. From memory, Oates has destroyed:

DVD remote control
1 pair of old navy flip flops
Corner of a couch pillow
A puppy crate
One of David's hats
A Makeup Brush
A Hair brush
Banana Boat tanning lotion bottle
No less than 6 sets of window blinds
My cell phone

For the most part... these things are replaceable, and/or not of much value (except the hat - i know David misses it), but recently, Oates has taken his seek and destroy scheme to far!

Maybe you've been to my website before, and if so, you're aware that in my spare time, I sculpt miniature figurines. I keep these precious and fragile cuties in a small wooden latch box. It's not unusual for someone to ask to see them, so the box is typically in various 'out of the way' places that would seem safe from a little puggle.

Wrong.

Kitchen counter? Probably safe.
Fireplace mantle? Probably safe.
In spare bedroom behind a closed door? Definitely safe.
In the middle of my bar height kitchen table? Probably safe you might think...but no...NOT SAFE!

Oates was under David's watch when it happened. He'd left the house for only a few moments when he heard a CRASH! He ran inside and saw my little wooden latch box toppled to the ground, surrounded by the carnage of many dismembered itsybitsycutes! Shock, horror, anger... Oates new he was in trouble. David, the eyewitness, says that after getting severely scolded and warned that mommy would be very upset, Oates went willingly into his kennel and laid down. (the new kennel we're borrowing b/c he ate through the old one.)

Five Itsybitsycutes must now be remade and re-listed on my etsy store.

How did he jump atop my bar height table? We don't know.
Why did he go straight for my box of itsybitsys? We don't know.
Will he destroy something again? I'm sure at some point i will let my guard down and he will strike again.

Has your pet destroyed anything precious of yours?

3 comments:

  1. Has my pet destroyed anything? Since you asked... He has eaten 2 holes in our mattress, with that he put holes in our sheets (Both brand new), he chewed a hole in our couch leg, he ate a backpack, garden hose, pillows galore, dog bed, grill cover, and various other grill accessories that were attached to the grill, and our fire pit cover... Just to name a few, he is a German Shorthaired Pointer and we got him when he was 2 years old so he's not even a puppy! But, alas, we still love him :) The blinds cracks me up about Oates, what an odd thing to attack over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, gosh. That is some valuable stuff!! Wow.

    It's crazy how they can be sooo naughty... but you just can't stay mad... :)

    ReplyDelete