Monday, February 27, 2012

Dog Park Day


I've had Oates now for just over 3 years.  In that time, he's managed to escape to freedom no more than 5 times.  He's tried to escape more than a million times... he's a runner, he's a sniffer, and the two mixed together are probably the reason he was found roaming the streets in the first place. 

We have an urban dog park about 2 miles from our house and in the 3 years I've had Oates, we've never been!  I'm always been afraid that he would somehow find a way out (even though it's completely fenced on all sides), or he'd play too hard with another dog and get in trouble.  Most of all, I was worried because even after 3 years, I can't get the little guy to come to me when I call him outside.  Inside - yes.  Outside - different story!

A few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet.  Mommy and Daddy took Oates to the dog park.  Luckily, they have two separate areas, and one is for dogs under 35 pounds.  This was perfect for Oates.  I could see him from anywhere, and if he acted up, I could just go up and grab him.  I even worked with him on coming when he's called, and he did it!! 

I don't know why I waited so long.  He loved it, and I loved giving him time to run around and play with other dogs.  I went again this past weekend and there were several pugs and even another puggle!  I'll be going back many-a-time as the weather gets nice.  (Can you spot Oates?  He's on the left in the brown harness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment